Bruce Basement Education Room
Underneath the Bruce Chapel is a double height space that was never completed when the Kirk was opened in 1930. The feeling is that the Trustees had run out of energy to complete this space with the effort needed to complete the buidling. It is believed it may have been designed as a small accommodation for a caretaker.
Having been unused since 1930, it was “rediscovered” in the last couple of years and plans prepared to do the necessary works to open it as an education and visitor resource. It is a lovely space with amazing windows, a nice size 6m x 4m and the opportunity to install the never completed first floor.
We have prepared a scheme including the Structural engineering design of the stairs, First floor and a new access door into the Crypt. We have obtained prices for the works and are currently (Spring 2019) revising the drawing pack to submit for listed building consent. This work is part funded by the Architectural Heritage Fun (AHFund).
We still need to raise funds to complete the drawing for building warrant and the capital costs of
- New concrete floor
- New first floor, stairs and doorway to crypt
- Tables, chairs etc
- Lighting and power
- Repair to the Leaded Glass Windows
The price for these works is £20,000. Once complete this will be an amazing resource for visiting groups, schools, general visitors and our own community events etc.