Priorities and Progress
In this section, you can find out more about our priorities and progress to date.
Although there is a lot of work still to be done, the Trustees and Friends have made progress with a number of completed projects, including:
2016: Repairs to Terrace Walls at sundial completed.
2017: Renewal of Library roof & chapel valleys completed April | Conservation of choir stalls & heraldic shields completed in October.
2018: Outfitting of the library and vestry interiors.
2019: Phase 2 Roof repairs (Copes, Skews and Gutters), Conservation of the Bruce Effigy, Conservation of the Chapel Gates, Lighting project (Infrastructure and lighting of Nave and South Aisle), works to improve gardens.
2020: Ongoing roof repairs, Garden improvements including path upgrades, floor repaired behind organ screen, Cloister Lion repaired, Lighting added to St Brides Chapel.
2021: Rose window restored including glass paintwork and timber tracery, 2 large non-native trees removed, Iron water down pipes restored. Planning permission for Toilets in Octagonal tower received.
Priorities for 2022
- Additional garden improvements and ideally the restore the crumbing terrace walls.
- If successful with fundraising then install visitor toilets and restore roof and walls of the Octagonal tower.
- Continue to develop proposals for access to Crypt and Bruce Basement.
- Preparation of works schedule to support repairs of remaining roof leaks and wall repairs.
Priorities for 2023…
- Repair of major roof leaks in Daniel Tower and other area.
- Fundraise for wall and roof repairs.
- Fundraising for rest of lighting scheme (Chapels, Apse and Chancel).
A large historic building like St Conan’s Kirk needs a lot of looking after!
We rely on the generous donations and pledges of friends and visitors to fund this conservation program
We do not receive any regular funding from the Scottish or UK governments or from any Church entity. We are enormously grateful to the charitable trusts who have so far supported our conservation efforts and we hope to continue partnering with them in the future.
If you would like to receive our newsletter and updates please use the subscribe.